What she's cooking while he's spinning

Monday, November 14, 2011

"I never knew I liked beets" Salad

I spent 31 years assuming that I didn't like beets. In childhood, beets were 'that weird red thing' that came next to my batter-fried cod during Friday Night Fish Fry. I was more interested in eating Wisconsin cheese curds than expanding my palate at the time.

Grazing at a local salad bar proved my previous assumptions flat wrong. I had been missing out. Beets are yummy whether raw, boiled, or roasted, in soups, salads, or solo. Bonus: they provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support.

Know that beets stain everything: cutting boards, counter tops, hands, you name it. Fun fact: 10-15% of people experience “beeturia,” or a reddening of the urine, after eating beets in everyday amounts.

This easy salad is gorgeous. Healthy, too. All quantities are approximate. Quinoa is naturally gluten-free.


Ingredients:

1 cup cooked Beets, boiled, peeled, and cut into chunks

1 cup Cucumber, cut into chunks

Handful Fresh Parsley, chopped

1 1/2 cups cooked Quonia, somewhat cool

1/4 cup Pine Nuts

1/4 cup Feta Cheese

Dressing: 2 TB fresh lemon juice, 2 TB balsamic vinegar, 2 TB mac nut oil

Salt to taste

Directions:
Mix all ingredients. Serve room temp or chilled. If making-ahead, add feta and pine nuts just before serving to retain color and texture.
Omit feta if you've got a vegan in the house.

Followers